Contact:

Contact: fiona.veikkanen@gmail.com

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

In Brazil

So here I am in Brazil- it has been two weeks today!
Enjoying a 'coco'- everyone loves them and you can buy them from the corner shop.
I am excited about the prospect of making some art here, but even more keen to let myself take a breather and really soak everything in. I sat in a park under a palm tree yesterday and wrote down some words- this is what i scribbled:

'I have felt so congested here. BOMBARDED. Frozen. I think I've been in shock. They call that culture shock huh. I notice everything and can't process it all at once- and then notice nothing. Everything is different and therefore so noticeable. The stones in the footpaths, the shape of the spoons, the shoes on their feet, the way my hair dries differently, nightclub sounds at night, and into the morning, that bar that digs into my bum when sitting on that couch, the numerous flowers, tree trunks, decorative security measures, tones of voice, exclamations, my food digesting, feet sweating and those people over there- juggling in the park. I have been here two weeks now. Today is slightly different. I think I am finally starting to soak it all in. And I like it. I don't stare, gasp or cry QUITE so much. There must be a healthy medium where the brain edits out the unnecessary information so we can focus on what is a priority- and leave space for the possibility of new creations. I think I am noticeing less- and in so doing noticing more.....'

I have some small ideas for what I will make while I am here, but in the mean time am keen for adventure and fresh observations. 

5 comments:

  1. excited to see what you make over there. nice words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so insightful fiona! sounds like a very rich experience - keep soaking it in & enjoy yourself :) best wishes to the family

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute fi, you're lookin good!
    i miss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your creativity through words too fi, ah its a beautiful adventure travelling. im so glad that you are experiencing new lights, loves, and possibilities :)

    ReplyDelete